[openlp-dev] [OpenLP] QGraphicsView Renderer Concept

Laura Ekstrand laura at jlekstrand.net
Fri Dec 2 19:38:55 EST 2016

Hello all,

Here is my idea/proof of concept for a new renderer for OpenLP.  I came up
with this idea because I noticed that OpenLP was visibly slower at
switching between verses than my church's previous lyrics presentation
software (an ancient copy of EasyWorship likely running on top of
DirectX).  I reasoned that it might be worth looking into QGraphicsView,
which is backed by OpenGL (as far as I know).  It might be faster with
minimal effort.

This is by no means more than a proof of concept, and I plan to try some
other ideas.

You can get the code from here:  https://github.com/ldeks/SongRenderer
renderer.py is the main concept, but you can look at graphicsScene.py, too,
if you want to.

You can also watch the attached YouTube video, where I demonstrate it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmdmFRZyKUQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks so much!

Laura