[Openlp-dev] Feature Suggestion: Max height for non-text slides (+ proof of concept code)

Ian Knight ieknight1101 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:22:21 EST 2016

Hey everyone!

I've been working on a new feature that a few of our operators
requested; changing non-text based previews in the list-preview-widget
of the slide controller so that they cap out at a maximum height
regardless of how wide the slider controller is.

Currently, as you all probably know, non-text slides scale
proportionately to the width of the slide controller, which means if the
slide controller is particularly wide, you may only be able to view a
one or part of a single slide in the list preview widget at a time.

I propose adding an option to the settings that allows users to choose
to cap the maximum height of these to a desired amount.

In addition, the auto-scrolling on the list is currently setup to ensure
the next slide is visible in the viewport. I propose adding another
option to the settings so that the user can select whether they want the
current, previous, or next slide to appear at the top of the viewport
when the slide is changed.

I have written proof-of-concept code that implements both these features.
Currently, these features are controlled by two variables:
self.max_img_row_height (L52) & self.scroll_rel_slide (L55).
The changes I've made appear in the functions replace_service_item
(L150) and change_slide (L176)

The code is available for your perusal & discussion at
https://code.launchpad.net/~knightrider0xd/openlp/better-slide-scaling

If you all like these features, I'll be happy to create wishlist bugs,
implement them properly, write tests, bring them inline with coding
standards etc.

Looking forward to your feedback.

--

Regards,