[openlp-dev] Re-license OpenLP to GPL3

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Wed Oct 10 11:03:45 EDT 2018

Hi folks,

We have a new developer in our community, Bastian. Welcome! Bastian has
been looking into some things that I've had on my mind, but not had an
opportunity to actually spend some time on.

One of the things Bastian has been doing recently is a license audit of
OpenLP and all the libraries we use. In doing so, Bastian found that
while OpenLP is currently GPL2, some libraries (such as PyQt5) are GPL3.
Unfortunately, GPL2 and GPL3 are not compatible. I'd been contemplating
investigating it, but I've had other priorities.

So, I'm going to e-mail all the contributors to OpenLP and ask them if
we can re-license OpenLP under the GNU General Public License version 3.
Please reply to that e-mail with a "Yes" if you're OK to re-license, or
a "No" if you disagree with re-licensing.

Thank you Bastian for your work!

--
Raoul Snyman
+1 (520) 490-9743