[openlp-dev] VLC Streaming

Tomas Groth second at tgc.dk
Wed Jan 30 14:34:55 EST 2019

Hi Tim,

Some input from me...
On Windows I can use the following command (basically copied the MRL +
options from the "Show more options"-expansion in the Capture Device tab)
vlc dshow://:dshow-vdev=<VIDEO DEVICE NAME> :dshow-adev=<AUDIO DEVICE
NAME>  :live-caching=300
Example:
dshow://:dshow-vdev=Integrated Webcam :dshow-adev=Microphone Array (Realtek
Audio  :live-caching=300
If VIDEO DEVICE NAME is empty the default video device is used. Same
applies for audio

On Linux the following command is used:
vlc v4l2://<VIDEO DEVICE ADDRESS>:v4l2-standard= :input-slave=<ALSA INPUT>
:live-caching=300
Example:
vlc v4l2:///dev/video0:v4l2-standard= :input-slave=alsa://hw:0,0
:live-caching=300

I can't help thinking that we for camera/video input should implement
something like the "Device Selection" group in the VLC "Capture Device"
tab, see screenshot below.
I've created a proof of concept script that on windows lists the name
needed for audio and video input. On Linux the script also manages to find
the camera input, but the audio device list seems to need some more
filtering. Hopefully the script can also be used to detect devices on
MacOS. See the script below.

[image: image.png]

from PyQt5.QtMultimedia import QCameraInfo, QAudioDeviceInfo, QAudio

print('Video input:')
for cam in QCameraInfo.availableCameras():
    print(cam.deviceName())
    print(cam.description())
print()
print('Audio input:')
for au in QAudioDeviceInfo.availableDevices(QAudio.AudioInput):
    print(au.deviceName())

Best regards,
Tomas