[openlp-dev] Release Schedule

Tim and Alison Bentley Home at trarbentley.net
Sat Dec 3 09:43:00 EST 2016

The time between major releases is too long.  I fixed 6 major video bugs a
year ago and with the Beta and RC releases they will not be out till
Easter.  This is not a complaint but a fact of life, when we need to
release good bug-free software.

So the question becomes what do we do with the web Refactoring and a
possible new Renderer. Wait another year?

OpenLP is getting more stable and the bug re-writes should be getting less
but we need to be able to continue to release so here is a proposal.

   1. Release 2.6 with current functionality (maybe we fix up some of the
   small improvements) and target it for Easter
   2. Add web updates into 2.8
   3. Target renderer to 2.8 or 3.0 depending on how long it takes to make
   stable

As the core code is stable now should only fully function features be added
so we can release a version each year.

Maybe change the naming OpenLP 2016 and OpenLP 2017 targetted for the 1st
quarter each year would be a way forward. with bug fixes targetted at Sept
and Dec unless there are major showstoppers like HTML changes at SongSelect
or Bible Gateway.

Thoughts and improvements or agreement please.

--
Tim Bentley (TRB143)
Home at TRARBentley.net