[openlp-dev] Release Schedule

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Sat Dec 3 10:36:56 EST 2016

> The time between major releases is too long.  I fixed 6 major video
> bugs a
> year ago and with the Beta and RC releases they will not be out till
> Easter.  This is not a complaint but a fact of life, when we need to
> release good bug-free software.

Very true. This has been the most chaotic year of my life, to be honest.

> OpenLP is getting more stable and the bug re-writes should be getting
> less
> but we need to be able to continue to release so here is a proposal.
>

>    1. Release 2.6 with current functionality (maybe we fix up some of
> the
>    small improvements) and target it for Easter
>    2. Add web updates into 2.8
>    3. Target renderer to 2.8 or 3.0 depending on how long it takes to
> make
>    stable

Yes, I think this is a good idea. My only proviso is this: WebKit is
going the way of the dodo, WebEngine is supposed to be the new cool, but
between the distros and the macOS and Windows builds, I'm not sure how
much longer we can use WebKit for.

> Maybe change the naming OpenLP 2016 and OpenLP 2017 targetted for the
> 1st
> quarter each year would be a way forward. with bug fixes targetted at
> Sept
> and Dec unless there are major showstoppers like HTML changes at
> SongSelect
> or Bible Gateway.

Urgh, personally I hate year numbers instead of version numbers. But
targetting a release for the first quarter of each year sounds like a
good idea.

I do think we've gotten the release procedure down fairly well
(especially when I follow the instructions I wrote for myself on the
wiki), so once we have a regular release cycle for new versions, maybe
we can speed it up to 2 per year.

--
Raoul Snyman
082 550 3754