[openlp-dev] Windows and SSL

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Fri Feb 17 23:19:36 EST 2017

Hello everyone,

As some of you might know, we're having SSL issues on Windows. This is
because Windows does not ship with all the root certificates and
downloads them on the fly. Our current advice to people is to go to
https://get.openlp.org/ in Internet Explorer or Edge and then try the
First Time Wizard again (same applies to SongSelect).

However, this is really tedious because we have to tell each and every
person who visits the forums or IRC or e-mails the support system about
it. There must be a better way. Sadly, Microsoft is not going to do
anything about this, and unless Python changes the way they do things on
Windows, we're probably going to be stuck with the problem.

I see only 2 real options here.

1. Bundle all the root certs with OpenLP on Windows. We can tell Python
where to find them.

2. When we want to access an https page, do some sort of pre-flight
calling some internal Windows function to get the certs for us.

Does anyone else have any ideas for how to solve this?

In the mean time I'm going to write up a blog post and put a sticky post
in the forums about this.

--
Raoul Snyman
+1 (520) 490-9743