[openlp-dev] Renaming openlp.py

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Tue Mar 7 19:35:27 EST 2017

Hi guys,

Recently we've had a couple of issues with having an "openlp.py" file as
our launcher file. We had to change the macOS and Windows builders to
rename it to "run_openlp.py" and while looking into building snaps
recently I also came across the same problem.

The core of the problem is that Python's module system uses either the
file name or a directory with __init__.py in it for the module name.
This means that we essentially have two "openlp" modules in the same
directory, which confuses Python immensely.

I propose we rename the file to "run_openlp.py" -- this won't have any
impact on our users, and not much impact on us. We'll just need to
change our packaging to take the name change into account (I know what I
need to do in the Debian package).

Should we do this from 2.4.6 or wait for 2.6?

--
Raoul Snyman
+1 (520) 490-9743
raoul at snyman.info