[openlp-dev] Support multiple languages

Tomas Groth second at tgc.dk
Wed Mar 22 16:24:34 EDT 2017

Hi Simon,

Thank you for diving into this!

I left a few comments below.

> Hi there,
>
> Since my church will only switch to OpenLP if it supports presenting two
> languages, I decided to work on it.
>
> I'm happy to announce that I finished the heavy lifting on the song
> editor. So I would appreciate your feedback on it. The code lives here
> https://code.launchpad.net/~thelinuxguy/openlp/multi-language
>
> No database migrations need to be done, and all the changes to specify
> the languages are reset once an older version of openlp(which silently
> ignores what language a verse is in) overwrites the language
> information, so yet get a "clean" database.
>
> Since I'm not doing any database migrations the "primary language" is
> just the first language encountered and changing it doesn't actually get
> saved. (This will change in the future)
>
> There's still a few things concerning the editor that need to be addressed:
>
> - Not everything is translatable yet and some of the strings I used are
> subject to change
>
> - How to handle verse order (This currently only picks up the "primary
> language").

I would suggest just to have 1 verse order list. Otherwise it will be very
difficult to handle presentation sync'ed between multiple languages.

> - What language information should be stored in the database.
>
>     - The primary language?

Yes.

>     - All languages so you can search by language?

I would store everything as searchable, but maybe make it depend on a
setting.

>     - How about Titles for each language? (Other information as well?)

I would votes for multiple titles, one per languages.

> - How to handle invalid (or unknown) language codes that are encountered
>

> Since the points I mentioned above need discussion, and I don't have a
> very strong opinion on them, I'm leaving them for now.
>
> My next milestone would be the ability to choose one language that is
> going to be presented and after that add support for two languages, ...

 IMHO the multi language editor-buttons should only appear after being
enabled per song.

Keep up the good work :)

/Tomas