[openlp-dev] Changes to the default settings

Olli Suutari suutari.olli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 11:25:32 EDT 2017

OpenLP has quite many settings and I feel like some of them should be
enabled or disabled by default as opposed to the current defaults. I think
changing these settings would make OpenLP easier to use out of the box.

The 2.5.1 / 2.6 release would be a good time to implement these changes
since there are a bunch of new settings introduced anyways.

*Here are my suggestions:*

*Enable: Remote plugin by default*

- Remote plugin is disabled by default,

- I think it should be enabled to make it easier

  for the users to use the remotes and avoid confusion

*General tab:*

*Enable: Unblank display when sending items to Live *

- Currently the Live is not shown automatically if the display is blanked,
this has confused some of the users.

- I think it would be a behaviour most of the users expect to happen by
default

*Enable: Unblank display when changing slide in Live*

- Users may want to resume live by clicking on the slides

- It may be confusing if this does not happen by default

*Advanced tab:*

*Change number of recent service files to display from 4 to 10*

- Is there a reason why only 4 files should be shown?

*Enable: Double-click to send items straight to Live*

- I think it would be a behaviour most of the users expect to happen by
default

- I think it's somewhat confusing if the item is not sent to Live by double
click

*Enable: Preview items when clicked in Library*

- This would make previewing items much easier

- If you select a item you probably would like to see the preview anyways

*Enable: Preview items when clicked in Service*

- The same as Library preview, also: consistency

*Default service name:*

Currently: Service %Y-%m-%d %H-%M = Service 2017-03-18 15-38

- Do we need to have the clock here?

*Players tab:* (not sure of how this currently works)

- Enable/disable whatever works the best based on OS.

(There may be differences.) For example VLC is disabled by default,

which means no video playback support.

*Songs tab: *

*Enable: Update service from song edit*

- This is probably the expected behaviour of average users

*Disable: Show "Written by:" in footer for unspecified authors*

- This was added in 2.3

- Many people requested for a way to disable the "Written by"

- Not all of the authors are "Writers"

- Some churches write the author type as part of the author name.

- I think this should be disabled by default

*Enable: Display "©" symbol before copyright info*

- This is only visible when copyright details are included

- This is not shown for authors

- Since it's copyright we might as well show the "©" by default

*Bibles Library: Make default layout style: "Verse per line"*

- Currently the default is "Verse per slide"

- I feel like this is a bit silly way to display Bible verses.

- Verse per line would fit a lot of more verses per slide

*Presentations tab:*

*Enable: Clicking on the current slide advances to the next effect*

- If this is disabled, PowerPoint effects, such as transitions are skipped
in Live
(Unless navigated with the arrows)

- I think this is highly confusing and may be considered to be a fault in
OpenLP by most of the users.

*Media tab:*

*Enable: Start new Live media automatically*

- Consistency with the other changes regarding to sending items to live

Philip messaged earlier regarding to the settings related to the search
while typing functionality:

"Currently there are two 'search as you type' options in the config. One in
advanced which enables/disables the functionality in the songs and custom
plugins. And one on the Bible tab which is for the Bible's.

Do we need the option on the Bible tab? Can these be almagamated on the
advance tab?

If not how do we handle to config upgrade case where the user has it
selected on one tab not the other? My suggestion would be to enable it for
all if it's already enabled for one of them.

Phill "

I think it would be a good idea to combine them and enable the setting by
default.

Feel free to reply and share your thoughts on the changes.

Best regards,

Olli Suutari / Azaziah