[openlp-dev] Exploring GitLab

googol googol at posteo.de
Tue Aug 21 13:54:49 EDT 2018

Hello,

some supporting words from me. At (my) university they teach "git". And
if they don't teach git, they teach svn - not bzr. I think it is crucial
to make it as easy as possible to contribute to OpenLP. When I ask my
fellow students what CVS they use by 99 % all of them will say 'git'.
In addition, the fork/pull request is widely known and you normally
don't have to think about "how to contribute" to a project, you just go
for it. OpenLP currently has an own dedicated wiki page for that.

-> so I think when we use git this will be good for contributions

The development process for OpenLP is much easier as it will be for most
companies. So we should not compare those development processes. Also
git evolved - as migration is always difficult the migration tools
need(ed) time to mature. And we all know that 10 years are a lot in IT
"time reckoning". 10 years ago, git was 3 years old. Also 10 years ago,
the first android version was released. By the way, when talking about
dates: bzr development is somewhat "slow". The last commit in trunk was
in *March 2017*. [1]

-> I think to implement the same development process we have with bzr
should not be any problem

Certainly: git is different. But it is - as often - just a matter of
learning new things and getting used to them. [2] To get "up and
running" with git is not that much different than with bzr. Nobody
requires that people rewrite their history/commit or use cherry-picking.
Also nobody has to use interactive stashing or adding. But git still
leaves room for advanced usage (such as interactive adding or
cherry-picking).

-> we should stay with plain git without the fancy stuff [at first ;-)]

Sure, if OpenLP stays with svn this is alright but I think the migration
is an opportunity. And I am existed that we will try it out.

Cheers :-)

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/bzr
[2] I personally found it easier to understand what git is doing.