[openlp-dev] Exploring GitLab

Kyle Russell bkylerussell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 12:38:19 EDT 2018

My impression is there's not a lot of git love going around, so my intent
was really just show Simon some appreciation for putting all that together.

I like the idea of this project well enough to try to contribute and sit
aside preference in order to do so.  I will adapt to whatever VCS the
community prefers, but my suggestion to document these tidbits on the wiki
was my attempt at bringing some objectivity to the discussion.  I did
actually read the "Why Bazaar/Why Launchpad"
<https://wiki.openlp.org/Development:Getting_Started#Why_Bazaar.2FWhy_Launchpad>
section of the wiki, and got the message ("OpenLP is going to stay where it
is."), though I'm not really sure that's a good proposition.

Actually, I've used subversion quite a bit, but have a pretty strong
dislike for it. :)  Mercurial, probably not enough to really count.  My
organization did a similar svn -> git transition, but it sounds like the
outcome for us was far more favorable to git.

I'm not trying to discount your past experience with git, but it would be
interesting to hear more discussion about actual technical CI/CD challenges
the project currently faces.