[openlp-dev] Relicensing as GPLv3+

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Thu Oct 11 12:09:11 EDT 2018

> Relicensing means some dependencies cannot be used anymore because they
> are (L)GPLv2 only, which can be resolved by replacing them (pyxdg; done
> in a merge request) or relicensing them as well (pysword). I guess as
> pysword's maintainer Thomas Groth is also an OpenLP developer this will
> work out well.

This highlights the work you've been doing on the various dependencies
of OpenLP. We have some practical issues with some of our dependencies,
and we need to get them sorted out.

For instance, I know that pyenchant is (a) not Windows (64-bit)
compatible, and (b) has been discontinued. This means we need to find a
replacement.

One of the issues I noticed when I initially investigated replacing our
mediainfo wrapper with pymediainfo is that there are two different
Python wrappers for mediainfo, and the last time I checked one was
packaged in Debian, and a different one was packaged in Fedora. We need
to make sure that we're not getting them confused.

Another dependency is the VLC Python library. We currently bundle it
with OpenLP because when we started using it, it was in neither the
Debian nor the Fedora repositories. This will have to be in both Fedora
and Debian before we can remove the bundled library.

I can't remember off the top of my head if we have any other
dependencies that we're bundling or that are problematic, but if anyone
else is aware of them, let's discuss it now.

> I would suggest using GPLv3+ over GPLv3 only because if you sometime
> want to use a GPLv4 licensed program, you would have to relicense
> again.
> That is why the FSF suggests using the "or later" clause.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of doing.

--
Raoul Snyman
+1 (520) 490-9743
raoul at snyman.info