[openlp-dev] Changes to the default settings

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Sat Mar 18 20:14:58 EDT 2017

> *Enable: Remote plugin by default*

Fine by me. Only reason we disabled it was because of one particularly
loud and obnoxious user.

> *Enable: Unblank display when sending items to Live *

Not sure if I agree on this. I prefer users not being surprised. I'm not
sure this is such a big issue, can you point me to where people have
complained about it?

> *Enable: Unblank display when changing slide in Live*

Again, I'm not sure about that. I'd need to see a significant number of
people objecting to the current default.

> *Change number of recent service files to display from 4 to 10*

Fine by me, I never use this.

> *Enable: Double-click to send items straight to Live*
> *Enable: Preview items when clicked in Library*
> *Enable: Preview items when clicked in Service*

These I vehemently disagree with. There are still people using XP and I
know from experience that this setting makes OpenLP DOG DOG DOG DOG SLOW
on old computers. Also, it's completely unexpected behaviour. Why does
double-clicking in the media manager make the item go live? That just
doesn't make sense, especially with the service manager right there too.

> *Default service name:*
> Currently: Service %Y-%m-%d %H-%M = Service 2017-03-18 15-38
> - Do we need to have the clock here?

I agree.

> - Enable/disable whatever works the best based on OS.
> (There may be differences.) For example VLC is disabled by default,
> which means no video playback support.

Way easier said than done. Also, the more platform-specific stuff we
introduce, the more potential for corner-case bugs.

> *Enable: Update service from song edit*

Agreed.

> *Disable: Show "Written by:" in footer for unspecified authors*

Is this just the text? That's probably fine.

> *Enable: Display "©" symbol before copyright info*

Sounds plausible.

> *Bibles Library: Make default layout style: "Verse per line"*

Works for me.

> *Enable: Clicking on the current slide advances to the next effect*

This is already an option? We don't need to write more code? Then that's
fine (if a little weird).

> *Enable: Start new Live media automatically*

Disagree, I don't think this expected behaviour.

> I think it would be a good idea to combine them and enable the setting
> by
> default.

Fine by me, but this would have to involve some clever migration code.

--
Raoul Snyman
+1 (520) 490-9743
raoul at snyman.info