[openlp-dev] Exploring GitLab

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Tue Aug 21 11:39:12 EDT 2018

> I fully recognize that I'm new to bzr and openlp, so my opinion
> probably
> counts for less than two cents, but so far I haven't seen any bzr
> feature
> that would make me want to switch all my projects away from git. :)

My guess is that you've only ever used git, right? :)

When OpenLP started, we were using CVS and SourceForge. When SourceForge
rolled out Subversion, I moved OpenLP to Subversion. When distributed
version control systems started, I looked into the different options.
git had (and still has) completely different actions for certain
commands ("cvs revert", "svn revert", "bzr revert" and "hg revert" all
do the same thing, "git revert" does something different), and a friend
of mine was advocating for Bazaar (they used it at their company). Also,
GitHub and GitLab (and Gitorius) didn't exist but Launchpad did.

So this friend of mine helped me migrate OpenLP to Bazaar and Launchpad.
It was difficult (just like the cvs -> svn migration), but once we were
onto Bazaar the commands worked the same as Subversion, and most of the
concepts were the same. Bazaar was essentially a distributed take on
Subversion (and let's be honest, Subversion merging was not as bad as
people make it out to be), and was easy to adapt to.

A couple of years later, the company I was working for decided to move
from Subversion to git, and we all got badly burnt by git because it is
so different to other version control systems. I helped migrate all our
repositories, and the migration was even worse than svn to bzr. I also
had to run around to all the QA folk and all the designers every day
helping them fix the problems they created for themselves by using git.
At the time, GitHub still didn't exist.

It was horrendous, and I was git'ed out after that.

So, from my point of view, "so far I haven't seen any git feature that
would make me want to switch all my projects away from bzr" -- and I use
git on a daily basis with my job.

I leave you with some enlightenment ;-)
http://stevelosh.com/blog/2013/04/git-koans/

--