[openlp-dev] Optional Split Saga

Olli Suutari suutari.olli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 09:57:09 EDT 2017

*"The Optional split is being added in 2.6"*

To clarify: what we currently have is "The optional split"

the forced split will be added in 2.6.

I think the forced split should just be called: "Split", no need to add
anything to it since it just “Splits” the verse, fairly self-explanatory.

As for the “Optional split”, something like: “Overflow split”, “Optional
split”, “Situational split” or “Smart split” could work.

Alternatively, the forced split could be called “Page-break”, which is the
universal meaning for forcing the text to the next page in text editors.
“Optional split” could then be “Situational Break” or something like that.

The button texts shouldn’t be too long and the meaning could be further
explained in mouse over hint/manual.

"my wife suggested "Auto Split"

I don’t like “Auto Split”, because the splits must be manually inserted by
the user, to me “Auto” means that OpenLP handles the splitting, not the
user.

Ideally OpenLP would have the option of splitting verses automatically from
the middle instead of last row that fits. (So 10 row verse becomes 5 and 5
rows instead of 9 & 1 for example.)

Cheers,

Olli / Azaziah